Ducks Unlimited needs your help! As our communities continue to grow, more land is needed for homes and businesses. Sometimes this development damages or even destroys the wetland areas. For example, the city of St. Albert is planning to build a road that will go over Big Lake, a well-known wetland. The city of Calgary would like to build 400 houses over another wetland south of the city and build a ring road through Weaselhead.
Ducks Unlimited would like to make the public more aware of the value of the wetlands. They are launching an ambitious advertising campaign across the province and are asking grade five students in Alberta to help them with this campaign. They want students to share their knowledge of the value of wetland areas with their fellow Albertans.
Your submission to Ducks Unlimited needs to include the following information:
- Background information about wetland communities so your audience will understand why wetlands are important. You will need a brief description of a wetland environment, including information about the various interactions between living and nonliving things and their respective roles in this community.
- An explanation about how human actions can endanger the wetland community, including specific examples.
- Actions that individuals and groups can take to preserve and enhance wetland habitats.
To support you in your research your teachers will provide you a list of experts to contact and websites to visit.
Your message may be presented in many different forms, such as a poster, brochure, documentary, television commercial, letter to the editor, etc. You will share your completed project with your Ducks Unlimited representative and your classmates. Make sure that your submission is appealing and persuasive in order to convince your fellow Albertans to join you in your action to save the wetlands!
AAC… everyday assessment tools for teachers
September 2005 Save the Wetlands!
Resources to support you this your campaign:
- Learn about Wetlands http://www.ducks.ca/learn-about-wetlands/what-wetland/
- Wetlands http://www.calgary.ca/UEP/ESM/Pages/State-of-the-Environment/Water/Wetlands.aspx
- Protecting Calgary’s Wetlands http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/Parks/Pages/Planning-and-Operations/Protecting-Calgarys-wetlands.aspx
- Wetlands at Work for You http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/Parks/Documents/Planning-and-Operations/Natural-Areas-and-Wetlands/Calgarys_Wetlands_At_Work_for_You.pdf
- Bridlewood Wetlands http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/Parks/Pages/Locations/SW-parks/Bridlewood-Wetlands.aspx
- Conserving our Wetlands http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/Parks/Pages/Planning-and-Operations/Conserving-our-wetlands.aspx
- Wetlands Alberta http://www.wetlandsalberta.ca/map/
- Calgary’s Wetlands, So Much to Explore http://blogs.calgaryherald.com/2013/07/15/calgarys-wetlands-so-much-to-explore/
- Wetland conservation still an issue in Calgary http://www.calgaryjournal.ca/index.php/ourcity/calgarynews/1523-wetland-conservation-still-an-issue-in-calgary